To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Monday, July 5, 2010

#11-RUNAWAYS (REVISED)

Dear Secret Agent:

I am currently seeking representation on my Paranormal Romance, RUNAWAYS.

The magical world is trying to hunt down seventeen-year-old, shadowarine fairy, Felicity Taylor.

Felicity is accused of murdering her roommate, Mary Swan. Brooks, her appointed guardian, steals her away before the magical council can punish her. Innocent, on the run, and living among the humans, hoping no one will discover them.

In order to take back her freedom, she must find Mary’s killer. But the truth lies within Edinburgh, the place that holds the magical council. Determined to clear her name, she heads off to Edinburgh. There she finds a scroll foretelling her destined path, and the real reason the council wanted her dead. Felicity feels she will never be free again. With the help of Brooks and some friends, together they will stop what’s foretold to come. Even if fate calls her to do what’s wrong. RUNAWAYS is complete at 70,000 words.

I am an active member of the YALITCHAT writing community.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.


Sincerely,


Revised 250 words:
**************************************

      Chapter 1


Exhausted. I dreaded these long hours at school.

I needed to be outdoors. Maybe climbing a tree or on a safari. But no, I was chained to a desk, waiting for the horror that should arrive at my house at dusk. Yeah, my past is catching up with me.

My Anatomy teacher, Mrs. Nelson, a pudgy, middle-age woman with too much lipstick on her lips and teeth, bored me. She droned on and on about the DNA structure in humans. Caring less, I scribbled loops on the outside of my notebook.

Her body shifted as she wrote more notes on the board that I didn't bother taking. Her thick fingers barely held the thin piece of chalk.

I looped another castle then studied the other students surrounding me. Some paid attention, but most looked as bored as I felt—glazed eye and slacked jaw. I glanced at the ticking second hand of the clock and stifled a sigh. Today was never going to end.

"Felicity. Felicity," Brooks whispered, snapping his fingers in front of my face.

I blinked and stared at him. He surprised me by speaking verbally instead of mentally like usual.

He narrowed his icy-blue eyes. "Are you writing any of this stuff down?"

I shook my head. What was the point? I already knew the stuff, and structurally speaking, I was not human. All this high school stuff was nothing more than a cover while I lay hidden from my magical parents.