To see or post comments, click on the blog post title to be "in" the post.
I have a new blog! It's over at my new website. So make sure to go over there for new posts as this blog will be closing soon!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Monday Musings: Writing and Reading





I'm a voracious reader. Always have been.  As a teenager, my parents ended up having to hide my books so I would get my chores done because I would spend every chance I got reading.  It didn't really change when I had a family, except no one had to hide my books so I'd get my chores done.  :P 

However, things changed when I started writing.  It started off slow, like catching more errors than I did previously, to finally getting to the point that I books I'd previously read and loved, i couldn't read any more because I couldn't just read for entertainment anymore. I'd see every error. Every plot hole. Every missing comma.  So, now, I find it very hard to find books that are so good that I'm able to turn off my internal editor.  Which, has of course, really brought down the amount of reading I do. 

I've even started picking those things out in movies and television shows.  It's a bit depressing actually. LOL.

And now I'm finding I need to read certain books for certain reasons, but what I really want to do is chuck my e-reader out the window and gouge my eyes out.  ; ) Now, that's not to say there aren't a lot of FANTASTIC reads out there.  In fact, I have a TBR pile of books that I can't wait to read that take up an entire bookcase.  However, I do feel a bit like a book snob and I'm not sure I like the feeling.

So my question is, do you have the same problem? Are there certain books, that you just can't read because of your internal editor?  Have you figured out how to shut it off?